The Australian government was not aware of the junta’s claims against economist Sean Turnell until they were announced by the military on Burmese TV on Tuesday.

Professor Turnell has been detained with limited consular access for over 30 days. We continue to consider this to be arbitrary detention.
Foreign Minister Marise Payne has repeatedly called for the release of Turnell, whose whereabouts arent public since he was arrested in the days after the military re-assumed control.
We do not accept the conditions of his detention and the reasons for his detention, Payne said on Monday.
The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age reported last week that Turnell had been permitted for the first time since being arrested to speak directly on the phone to his wife, Sydney economics lecturer Ha Vu. He had told her he was being treated well but until now the reason for his detention had not been revealed.
Australian officials had tried to assist the academic to leave the country following the coup and the detention of State Counsellor Suu Kyi, President Win Myint and other figures from the governing party, the National League of Democracy.
However, Turnells friend Tim Harcourt disputed the notion that he had tried to flee.
He had the chance to leave and he didnt, Harcourt said on Tuesday. His British counterpart did get out. I would say this is evidence that hes got a lot of integrity and honesty and was trying to do the right thing. I dont think a man who stayed would have anything to hide.
Payne said on Monday that Australias ambassador to Myanmar, Andrea Faulkner, and other diplomats were attempting to have Turnell released via talks at at the most senior levels.
Suu Kyis own lawyer, Khin Maung Zaw, has also offered to assist the Australian government on the Turnell matter on a pro bono basis.
The overthrown civilian leader is herself facing four charges levelled by the new authoritarian regime including the illegal importation of six walkie-talkies, the incitement of public unrest and the breaching of coronavirus protocols.
While she remains under house arrest, more than 60 protesters have been killed in nationwide demonstrations and strikes that are continuing despite the bloodshed.
The latest two casualties were in Myitkhina, the capital of Kachin state, reportedly shot in the head as police used lethal force as well as tear-gas and rubber bullets to disperse crowds.
Human Rights Watch on Tuesday called on the military to hold accountable those responsible for the torture and death in custody of a National League for Democracy (NLD) official, Khin Maung Latt, 58, and to produce all those disappeared since the February 1 coup.
Myanmars junta runs the security forces and can quickly find out who killed Khin Maung Latt if they want to, said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, in a statement.
Reuters reported security forces also cornered hundreds of young protesters in a district of Yangon on Monday night and threatened to hunt for them door-to-door as the United States and United Nations appealed for them to be allowed to leave.
Chris Barrett is the south-east Asia correspondent for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.
Anthony is foreign affairs and national security correspondent for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.