Welcome to TechRadars LGBTQ+ Gaming Week 2021, a week-long celebration during which we’re inviting LGBTQ+ gamers to tell their stories, and explore topics within the LGBTQ+ gaming community. That means throughout the week youll be seeing features, opinion pieces and more, on a variety of LGBTQ+ gaming-related topics, appearing on the site.
LGBTQ+ Gaming Week is about amplifying voices within the LGBTQ+ gaming community and dedicating the time and space to ensure that those voices are heard. Weve aimed to cover topics on a range of genders, sexualities, and important issues. Weve ensured that members of the community have had a say in each and every piece thats being published, which means all the writers featured are from the LGBTQ+ community, and many of the articles feature bespoke illustrations from R Healey Art
Were aware that not every piece will be reflective of all LGBTQ+ experiences, but theyre the experiences and topics that our writers felt were important to explore.
This is the first time TechRadar has hosted an LGBTQ+ Gaming Week, so why are we doing this now? These continue to be challenging times for those in the LGBTQ+ community, with many continuing to have to defend their identity and rights. Here at TechRadar, we believe all LGBTQ+ rights are human rights.
So however you identify, we welcome you to TechRadars LGBTQ+ Gaming Week 2021.
LGBTQ+ Gaming Week
We’ll be rolling out our LGBTQ+ Gaming Week features throughout the week, and adding them here so you can find them easily.
(Image credit: TechRadar/R Healey Art)
Because they could relate to the characters, the mobile game Choices allowed this writer to reimagine the way stories are told, and gave them the escape they needed. Read the full feature here.
(Image credit: EA)
How playing The Sims over the years helped this writer deepen their understanding of sexuality and overcome heteronormativity. Read the full feature here.
(Image credit: TechRadar/R Healey Art)
A gay father talks about the validation they found in games, reflecting on their experience as well as their frustration at the lack of more queer parent representation. Read the full feature here.
More TechRadar LGBTQ+ content
(Image credit: Twitch)
As LGBTQIA+ streamers strive to be seen and heard on Twitch, is the current tag system doing more harm than good? Read the full feature here.
(Image credit: Blizzard)
World of Warcraft Shadowlands is going to start working in a lot more LGBTQ+-friendly elements, and Blizzard is just getting started. Read the full feature here.
(Image credit: Square Enix)
For PC Gaming Week 2020, we took a look at the best LGBTQ+ representation we’ve seen in PC games so far. You can read the full feature here.
(Image credit: KO_OP)
Again for PC Gaming Week 2020, we gathered up eight new and upcoming PC games that feature queer characters and narratives to help you round out your game library ,or annoy your friends with as you gush about them. Check out the full list here.
If you want to learn more about the LGBTQ+ community, check out the resources below:
Charities and non-profit organizations
- Stonewall: a non-profit organization that campaigns for the equality of lesbian, gay, bi and trans people across Britain also has a Youth division.
- Gendered Intelligence: A UK-based charity whose objective is to increase peoples understanding of gender diversity, working with the trans community and specializing in supporting trans youth aged 8-25.
- LGBT Youth Scotland: Scotlands national charity for LGBTI young people, working with 13-25-year-olds across the country, which also delivers the LGBT Charter program to schools, organizations and businesses.
- Mermaids: UK charity supporting transgender kids, young people and their families since 1995.
- The Trevor Project: A US national 24-hour, toll-free confidential suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth.
- Trans Lifeline: Run by and for trans people with a goal to provide trans peer support and care. Covers the US and Canada.
- Planned Parenthood LGBT Services: A non-profit organization that provides sexual health care and education for the LGBTQ+ community in the United States and globally.
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation: The largest LGBTQ advocacy group and political lobbying organization in the United States, with a focus on protecting and expanding rights for LGBTQ people.