Heavy rainfall that might lead to flash flooding was likely around the south-east coast and Darling Downs and Granite Belt regions until Wednesday morning.
The Bureau of Meteorology warned the situation was likely to pose a serious risk to areas recently affected by heavy rainfall, including the risk of landslips in steep terrain, and in those areas, the conditions might become life-threatening.
Areas that could be affected on Tuesday and Wednesday included Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Toowoomba, Warwick, Stanthorpe, Kingaroy, Dalby, Goondiwindi, Roma, Charleville and St George.
Bureau of Meteorology meteorologist Kimba Wong said heavy rainfall would continue on Tuesday.
Rainfall rates may increase through the day today so the risk is there for heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, she said.
Showers would remain around Brisbane before a reprieve on Wednesday morning with the system clearing.
A flood watch was current for southern parts of Queensland from the South Australian border to the south-east coast.
A major flood warning was issued for the Logan River, with major flooding expected at Beaudesert and moderate flooding for the Albert River.
On Tuesday morning the Logan River at Beaudesert was at 7.32 metres and rising, and was expected to exceed the major flood level (8.3 metres) on Tuesday as heavy rainfall continued. However, the bureau said the river levels were expected to remain well below the 2017 tropical cyclone Debbie flood peak of 14.76 metres.
Police said the New England Highway at Lyra, near Accommodation Creek, was expected to close in coming hours due to rising flood waters, and asked motorists to use an alternative route.
Road closures due to flash flooding:
- Somerset Drive, Mudgeeraba
- Currumbin Creek Road, Currumbin Valley
- Gold Coast Springbrook Road, Mudgeeraba
- Tallebudgera Creek Road, Tallebudgera Valley
- Vince Hinde Drive, Worongary
- Len Dickfos Road, Tallebudgera Valley
- Berrigans Road, Mudgeeraba
- Siganto Drive, Helensvale
- Crest Hill Drive, Wongawallan
- Guanaba Creek Road, Guanaba
- Stanmore Road, Yatala
- Ruffles Road, Upper Coomera/Willow Vale
- Gunsynd Drive, Mudgeeraba
- Birds Road, Guanaba
- Hardys Road, Mudgeeraba
- Tarata Road, Guanaba (long-term flooding)
- Clagiraba Road, Clagiraba (long-term flooding)